Tuesday, January 19, 2010

For me to get to my work I have to ride a half hour bus ride. Which in most cases is fine with me. However, the past few times I have been travelling to or from work, I have encountered some people I rather not have.

My first encounter was with this older man which I believe was Russian or Romanian. I am not sure his ethnicity, but I had to focus on what he was saying to understand. He talked to me for the 30 minutes I was on the bus. He first talked to me about the superstore flyer and than on to, religion, books, family. In those topics, he discussed a lot things. I noticed at forest glen, so 15 minutes in my bus ride that he had a beer can hidden in his winter hat. I am the kind of person who doesn't like to be rude, well especially to older people. Every time he paused or stopped talking, I tried to read my book again. However, he interrupted me every time. He started trying to stroke my hair, and I kept backing away from him. The next time he tried to do it I got up early for my bus stop. This encounter creeped me the heck out. I wouldn't have minded talking to him if I knew him. But he was a complete stranger trying to stroke my hair.

My second encounter was with a man about 30 I think. I was about 5 minutes away from my stop near where I live. It had been a long day and I was reading my book, so I was leaning forward to the seat in front of me. This guy decided to sit in front of me, so I sat back in my seat. When the man finished his conversation on his cell, he told me "That he was sorry to disturb me", I told him it was fine and went back to reading my book. He then decided to ask me "What are you reading?", so I told him the forgotten realms, its fantasy. Then he asked me if I wanted to get a beer and I told him no. I got off at my bus stop and was waiting for the bus to drive away so I could cross the street. The doors were still open and this guy asked again, if I wanted to come back to his place and get a beer. Again I replied "No, Thanks.", at this time he got off the bus, and again asked if I wanted to come back to his place and get a beer. Again I replied "No, Thanks.", at this time I walked briskly away. As I approached to building door, I noticed across the street the guy trying to figure out where he was on the street. I think he lived a lot farther down the street. It makes me happy knowing he had to walk home or wait for an hour for a bus. I know sounds mean but I was shaking when I got into my apartment.

After those two encounters I am now reading a book, listening to music, with my head down, and sitting in seats where its difficult for people to interact with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment